International mobility and Financial support
The Doctoral School offers financial support to doctoral students presenting an oral paper at an international symposium abroad. A contribution towards mission expenses of 350 € for a symposium may be allocated to a research centre. An application for financial support will be accepted only once during the three years of the Ph.D. student’s studies.
Ph.D. students can do their doctorate degree under joint supervision by two thesis supervisors from two universities in two different countries: France and another partner country. Doctoral students alternate study periods in both universities. An agreement is drawn up to establish the framework and organisation of the collaboration. The final exam or Ph.D. viva is held in one of the two countries and the Doctorate degree award is recognised in both countries.
Agreement models for joint supervision are available in the Intranet space
Legislation applicable now in France:
- Arrêté du 6 janvier 2005 relatif à la cotutelle internationale de thèse (pdf - 77 Ko)
- Arrêté du 7 août 2006 modifiant l'arrêté du 6 janvier 2005 relatif à la cotutelle internationale de thèse (pdf - 38 Ko)
For cross-border mobility
The UPPA, through its International Relations Office, has set up a special provision to help you study in Zaragoza, San Sebastian, Pampelona, Bilbao, Vitoria or Huesca. To obtain a European Doctorate
You can obtain the label of “European Doctorate" on top of your Doctorate award if you meet the following four requirements:
- A period of at least one college term spent abroad in another European country
- During the Ph.D. viva : a part of the oral examination must be carried out in one of the European national languages other than the national language of the country where the final viva takes place,
- Authorisation for the final Ph.D. viva examination must be granted in the light of two reports authored by at least two professors from two Higher Education institutions in two different European states other than the state in which the viva will take place
- The final Ph.D. jury panel must include at least one member from one Higher Education institution of a European state other than the state in which the final viva takes place.